Thursday, March 30, 2017

The day PD rebuked R.C.

For those of you who were in our Sunday School class last Lord's Day, you might have been a bit startled when I, your gentle Pastor, blurted out right in the middle of a video by R.C. Sproul--

"WRONG!"

I'll admit, I startled myself.

R.C. Sproul is one of my spiritual mentors. I owe him a debt of gratitude I could never repay. He was speaking about sinning against God and was using tithing as an example. He said that Christians who don't tithe are robbing God. This is when I (loudly) voiced my adamant disapproval. I couldn't risk some poor souls suffering a wounded conscience until the video was over. He was wrong. New Covenant believers are not commanded to tithe. And our flock needs to know this.

Of course this brings up the larger context and question of whether Christians are under any of the Law of Moses. Again, the answer is NO!, as is clearly taught in the New Testament. Rather than go into detail in this blog I would urge you to read an excellent article by Thomas Schreiner, a professor at Southern Seminary on "7 Reasons Christians Are Not Commanded to Tithe." He also addresses (briefly) the issue of the New Covenant believer's relationship to the Law of Moses. You can read it below--

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/7-reasons-christians-not-required-to-tithe

Pastor Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment